The goals for the Working Cities Challenge, adapted from the Living Cities Integration Initiative, are as follows:
- Support bold, promising approaches that have the potential to transform the lives of low-income people and the communities in which they live.
- Build resilient, cross-sector civic infrastructure that can tackle the complex challenges facing smaller industrial cities and achieve population-level results.
- Move beyond programs and projects to focus on transforming systems; promote integration across multiple systems and issues.
- Drive private markets to work on behalf of low-income people by blending public, private, and philanthropic capital and deploying it in catalytic investments.
- Accelerate and learn from promising work already underway.
- Create a successful model for New England and beyond.