For Torrington, the Working Cities Challenge initiative aims to make the city more affordable to attract a younger workforce by expanding what it means to be a “micropolitan” center. The city’s team will increase efforts in educating businesses, residents, and students and forming a coalition to address its economic growth challenges and capture the advantages of a younger workforce that impacts Torrington and the region.
- Northwest Regional Workforce Investment Board, Inc.
- City of Torrington
- Office of the Mayor
- Fire Department
- Planning & Zoning Department
- Police Department
- Economic Development Commission
- Connecticut Brownfields Land Bank
- Manufacturers Coalition
- Youth Service Bureau
- Warner Theatre
- New Opportunities
- Torrington Development Corporation
- Torrington Savings Bank
- Torrington Public Schools
- Prime Time House
- Northwest Hills Council of Governments
- Charlotte Hungerford Hospital
- Five Points Gallery
- United Way of Northwest Connecticut
- Northwestern Connecticut Community College
- Northwest Connecticut Community Foundation
- Torrington Area Health Department
- Northwest Connecticut Chamber of Commerce
- Spearpoint Strategy
The Torrington Working Cities Challenge initiative will retain and attract a younger workforce and make the city more affordable by improving its economic security and quality of life thereby reversing the downward trend ratio of millennials to seniors. In 2010 the ratio was 1.2 and in 2025 the ratio is projected to drop to 0.66.
Economic Growth Challenge:
As the largest “micropolitan” center in Connecticut and a distressed municipality, Torrington faces significant challenges in accommodating local and regional needs. Combined with an aging population, declining student enrollment and loss of millennials, demographic challenges strain the tax base and the city’s ability to provide services, thereby increasing the cost of living. The Torrington team will develop a strategic plan that defines specific goals and outcomes that promotes systemic economic change.